May 31, 2008

California Adventure: Hiking Half Dome

After our family has been going to Yosemite for years, I've never hiked half dome. So this past trip, I did it solo. I went with just my basketball shoes, and a waterbottle that I refilled with the river's water. I saw some incredible sights, and even a tough trek through snow, once I got high enough in elevation. Here is an overall layout of the hike. The first waterfall to climb is Venal Falls, then Nevada Falls. There is a lot of mountain to climb before reaching the side of half dome. Here is an overall layout:
First here are some pics of the first waterfall: Vernal Falls. Also known as the mist trail, a hiker is going to get soaked since the trail leads right next to the falls. It can get pretty cold, but once at the top, it can be pretty refreshing.

This is a view hiking up the stairs right at the base of the falls.


After reaching the top, the view is pretty amazing. It's all Lord of the Rings style.


After Vernal, the next waterfall is Nevada falls. The trail doesn't lead right next to the falls, but the taller Nevada is quite a sight.

A rock juts out at the top of the falls.

After a long hike through the forest toward the base of half dome, I didn't expect the eventual 4 feet of snow that hid the trail. After being lost for a little bit, I guessed my way up to the base, and found the trail. After a steep hike up half dome itself, there is a place where cables are fastened to the rock so climbers can pull themselves up. Wooden planks are driven in the rock for climbers to stop and rest. The picture below shows this:

I got as far as the red dot. Because of the snow, the cables and planks weren't up. I knew this going up, so I was not disappointed. There was still a great view. So with this final pic, I got to where there is a little saddle on the left side of the rock. I took it in, then went back the same day.
So all in all? Heck of a dang trip.








2 comments:

momma elms said...

You da man! Next time maybe the cables will be up and you can go to the top!

The Elms said...

I like your newfound Microsoft Paint skills. Your pics are fun and informative.